Fluid flow wakes are the hydrodynamic signatures left by a moving body or carried by a fluid passing a body at some relative velocity. In dictionaries it is defined as “a trail of disturbed water or air left by the passage of a ship or aircraft”. Of course there are many other meanings of this word, but we focus here on only the fluid flows. More specifically our lab deals with turbulent wakes. 

A stratified wake of a hydrofoil accelerating from rest

 1-s2.0-S0894177715002769-gr1 1-s2.0-S0894177715002769-gr8


Vortex wake of a swimming knifefish 




Wake behind a flapping free flying bird in a wind tunnel


journal.pone.0134582.g002 journal.pone.0134582.g006


If you want to get more details about these results, please read our papers here


Turbulent wakes of roughness elements in an urban canopy flow measured in Lagrangian framework in the environmental scale wind tunnel 




Alex Liberzon

My research topics are: experimental fluid mechanics and turbulence My method is: open source and open science My goal is: help to solve engineering and physical problems that are inherently based on fluid mechanics